Recipe: White Bean Shredded Chicken Chili — Quick & Comforting
White bean shredded chicken chili is always on my menu in the winter months. Chill in the air and comfort food in the pot is the themes of most homes during this time of the year. I know it is for my home.Chilly weather makes me crave comfort food! Soups, stews, and chili are at the top of my cold-weather food list.
Chili is one of my favorite foods! This dish couldn’t be more straightforward, and the best thing about it is you really only need one pot. Yep… it’s a quick one-pot pick packed with flavor.This chili is ‘To. Die. For.’ — if you love chili.
There really aren’t very many ingredients in this dish, which makes it a real-time-saver. Don’t worry, it is still so delicious! Another really wonderful thing is quite a few of the ingredients can be substituted for whatever you have on hand — you can’t beat that. You will see what I mean.
Now, I jazzed this dish up a little by adding a nice slice of lime to it; the lime gives it a bit of refreshing acidity. Also, I had a small container of chickpeas in the fridge (leftover from another dish), so I threw those in too, but you really don’t need them. As I said, this recipe is very flexible.
And, of course, you can not have chili without some good ol’ homemade skillet cornbread. Oh my goodness, it just brings the entire meal home.
I just can’t wait to share my recipe for white bean shredded chicken chili with you, so here you go. I hope you love it as much as I do.
Lets Cook White Bean Shredded Chicken Chili
White Bean Shredded Chicken Chili
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 large chicken breast half skin on with bone
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage *optional
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bullion or 3 bullion cubes
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 medium bell pepper (any color) diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno minced
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Place chicken breast in a large pot and fill with water to cover the chicken. Boil for 20-30 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Reserving broth.
- Over medium heat, add sausage (optional) to pot, stir to break up, cooking until browned. add onions and peppers, cook until softened. Add spices, and cook until fragrant. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the reserved broth back to pot, and add bullion bringing mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add tomatoes.
- Remove skin and bone from chicken and shred meat by hand. Add meat to the pot and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add the beans to the pot and allow the mixture to thicken before serving.
- *add cheese for extra thickness and flavor if desired
Want another recipe for White Bean Chicken Chili? Click here
For more hearty and delicious comfort food recipes check out some the amazing dishes below.
Follow Me on Instagram at Food and Wine Chronicles to see more delicious dishes and wines
Welcome! My name is Pam, and thanks for visiting my blog. Food and Wine Chronicles was created to share real-world experiences in the culture. From wine reviews and wine articles to interviews with winemakers and winery visits, reviews of the latest food hot-spots to the creation of cuisine, all are meant to help educate, inspire, motivate, and connect you to the fantastic vibrant and cultured food and wine lifestyle.Learn more