Quick&Easy: White Bean Chicken Chili — Warm & Hearty
Chili is one of my favorite foods to eat. White bean chicken chili is my favorite of the favorite if there’s such a thing. I eat chili whenever the mood strikes me. Typically, I like to make chili for a dinner time meal, but I always make enough to have some leftovers. Firstly, something about eating it the next day, it tastes even yummier. Secondly, I have eaten chili for lunch and even breakfast. Yep… that’s right, breakfast! Also, depending on the type of chili I make, I sometimes use it as a topping. Mmmm… so delicious on top of burritos, eggs, taco salad… Of course, I could go on and on, there’s just no end to what you can put it on. There are many incarnations of chili, and I enjoy them all—regular chili, chicken chili, vegetarian chili.
I tend to enjoy heartier style chili that is thick and luscious. Therefore, that means beans in my book. For instance, kidney, pinto, or any firm white bean. I feel like you just have to have some beans in chili; unless you are explicitly making hot dog chili. They really give the chili a little extra oomph. Above all, they add texture. Also, they add an extra layer of flavor. And, of course, beans have great health benefits.
Now that the weather has cooled down, and football season has begun, chili makes a regular appearance in my house. Generally, it is quick and easy to make, and flavorful, warm, and satisfying.
White bean chicken chili is simply scrumptious, so creamy and rich. Definitely one of my favorite types of chili to cook. And, of course, the options are endless. I like to sneak a little spicy sausage in mine.
Here’s My Recipe
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast large diced
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cans (14 ounces) cannelloni beans with liquid
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 dry guajilla pepper
- 1 dry ancho chili pepper
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 jalapeno seeded
- 1/2 sweet yellow pepperr seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon flour or masa harina
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup mexican blend cheese
- lime wedges for serving
- ciliantro for serving
- Brown Italian sausage in a large pot over medium heat, and drain off oil. After that, pour olive oil in pot and add the jalapeño, yellow bell pepper, onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until vegetables soften. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned. Pour in chicken stock (saving 1/3 cup), then cook for a couple of minutes to reduce. Toss in quajillo and ancho peppers, and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove the quajillo and ancho peppers, let them cool and dice them.
- Add the quajillo and ancho peppers, beans (you can probably use any firm white bean), chili powder, cumin, paprika, pepper and salt. Stir to combine, and cover the pot and cook for 1 hour.
- Combine the flour with a 1/3 of cup of broth and stir to make a paste. Add this into the chili, along with the lime juice. Stir and cook for 10 more minutes or until thick.
- Finally, serve with cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges!
For other Quick&Easy meal checkout more Delicious Dishes
Welcome! My name is Pam, and thanks for visiting my blog. Food and Wine Chronicles was created to share real-world experiences in the culture. From wine reviews and wine articles to interviews with winemakers and winery visits, reviews of the latest food hot-spots to the creation of cuisine, all are meant to help educate, inspire, motivate, and connect you to the fantastic vibrant and cultured food and wine lifestyle.Learn more
Search Food & Wine Chronicles
*you will be sent a confirmation email upon subscribing, please confirm your subscription to stay connected.