Recipe: Penne, Broccoli, and Beans – Light and Tasty
When you need a healthy, simple meal that you can put on the table quickly, this penne, broccoli, and beans recipe is for you.
I love meatless meals, and this is one of my favorites. I am also all about light meals in the hot summer months. The quicker I can get in and out of the kitchen, the better. It doesn’t get any lighter than this delicious penne broccoli and beans dish.
Although I enjoyed this meal warm, it would absolutely be just as yummy served chilled. This dish served chilled can be eaten almost anywhere! It would be perfect at the next barbecue or even packed in the picnic basket for a quick bite at the park, and what a refreshing treat on the beach.
Broccoli, penne pasta, and white beans are so incredibly delicious together. There is no sacrificing flavor or texture here; the creaminess of the beans, crunchy broccoli, nutty pasta, zippy parmesan, herbs, and spiciness of the pepper flakes keep diving back in for more. You could also add a nice squeeze of fresh lemon for added flavor and freshness. The best thing about this recipe is that it takes 30 minutes to prepare from start to table.
This is a perfect meal to prepare on a busy weekday when you don’t have much time to cook, but you still want something filling and healthy on the plate. Packed with plant-based ingredients, this dish makes it a perfect vegetarian meal.
Penne, Broccoli, and Beans
- 6 servings whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound broccoli chopped into large pieces
- 1 15 ounce can great northern beans do not drain
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh oregano minced
- pepper flakes to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Stir in garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes, and cook just until fragrant. Remove mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to boil. Add salt to the water, and add broccoli, cooking until tender-crisp. Remove broccoli from the water and set aside.
- Return the water to a boil, and add pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pan. Add the broccoli to the pan, sprinkle with parmesan, add 1/3 of the cooking liquid. Toss to combine. Add the beans and liquid from the can to the pan and toss again. Cook until warmed through, adding more liquid as needed. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
For another great, quick and easy summer dish check out this great summer salad:
If you decide to try my recipe, and I hope you will, please return to this page and leave me a comment.
Welcome! My name is Pam, and thanks for visiting my blog. Food and Wine Chronicles was created to share real-world experiences in the culture. From wine reviews and wine articles to interviews with winemakers and winery visits, reviews of the latest food hot-spots to the creation of cuisine, all are meant to help educate, inspire, motivate, and connect you to the fantastic vibrant and cultured food and wine lifestyle.Learn more
Search Food & Wine Chronicles
*you will be sent a confirmation email upon subscribing, please confirm your subscription to stay connected.